We at 20Lines, a division of HarperCollins Italia, S.p.A. (“Company”), respect your concerns about privacy. This Privacy Notice (“Notice”) applies to Personal Data obtained by the Company, including through its website located at www.20lines.com, mobile website, branded app and its related services (collectively, the “Services”). “Personal Data” means any information relating to you in identified or identifiable form.
20Lines is a community dedicated to the art of the word. For this reason, we encourage, support and protect the diffusion of written thought in all languages and in all forms.
There are many different ways in which people may interact with 20Lines: reading and sharing stories or parts of them, creating incipit of new stories, writing the following parts of them. By doing so, you share information with us, for instance, by creating an account, by posting content, or sharing stories. While doing so, we want you to be clear how we’re using information and how you can protect your privacy.
The Notice describes the types of Personal Data we obtain about our users, both those who submit stories and those who read and/or share them, how we use the Personal Data and with whom we share it. We also describe the measures we take to protect the security of Personal Data and how you can contact us about our privacy practices. The Services are for a general audience, are not targeted to children, and we do not knowingly collect Personal Data from children under 13 years of age.
Click on one of the links below to jump to the listed section:
Information we Obtain:
We obtain Personal Data about our writers and readers through the Services in order to share with you content that we believe will interest you.
We collect Personal Data (i) to offer Services that you have requested or that we have a legitimate interest to believe that they are of interest to our customers, (ii) to manage the relationship we have with our customers and partners, and (iii) to perform activities based on your consent.
The types of Personal Data we may obtain include:
- Contact information (such as name, postal address, email address and telephone and/or mobile numbers);
- Username and password when you register through our Services;
- Geolocation data that the Services obtained with your consent;
- Other information you may provide to us, such as through our “Submit a Request” or “Contact Us” feature;
- Billing information for payments;
- Device information this means device-specific information, such as your hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information.
- Log information: when you use the Services we may automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This may include:
- Details of how you used our service, such as your search queries.
- Internet protocol address.
- Device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL.
- Cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your 20Lines Account.
- Unique application numbers: Certain of the Services include a unique application number. This number and information about your installation (for example, the operating system type and application version number) may be sent to 20Lines when you install or uninstall that service or when that service periodically contacts our servers, such as for automatic updates.
- Local storage: We may collect and store information (including personal information) locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5) and application data caches.
Your decision to use the Services and to provide your Personal Data to us is voluntary. We indicate on our online and mobile forms what types of Personal Data are required, before you register to our Services and submit any Personal Data to us.
How We Use the Information We Obtain:
We may use the information collected from and about you to:
- Provide our products and services;
- Create and manage online accounts;
- With your consent, send promotional materials, alerts regarding available offers and other communications, including communications through the Services and outside of the Services, such as via email and through third-party websites and apps from both 20Lines and HarperCollins Publishers;
- Communicate about, and administer participation in, special events, promotions, programs, offers, surveys, contests and market research;
- Respond to inquiries from you and other third-parties, including inquiries from law enforcement agencies in compliance with applicable law;
- De-identify Personal Data to provide third parties with aggregated data reports showing de-identified information;
- Supplement your Personal Data collected from you with additional information from publicly and commercially available sources, and/or information from Company affiliates and our business partners in order to share with you content that we believe will interest you.
- Associate your browser and/or device with other browsers or devices you use for the purpose of providing relevant and easier access to content, advertising across browsers and devices, and other operational/business purposes.
- Operate, evaluate and improve our business (including developing, enhancing, analyzing and improving our Services; managing our communications; performing data analytics; and performing accounting, auditing and other internal functions);
- Protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other unlawful activity, claims and other liabilities; and
- Comply with and enforce applicable legal requirements, relevant industry standards, contractual obligations and our policies.
We also may use your Personal Data in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection and obtain your consent if required by applicable law.
On our sites, apps and/or emails we and our third-party service providers may obtain information about your activities to provide you with advertising about products and services tailored to your individual interests if you have consented. We and our third-party service providers also may obtain information for this purpose from third-party websites and apps. This section of our Privacy Notice provides details and explains how to exercise your choices.
We engage third-party advertising networks to help us target our messaging to visitors through interest-based and contextual means. Through these ad networks, we can track your online activities over time and across third-party websites and apps by obtaining information through automated means, as described above. The networks use this information to show you advertisements on our Services or other third-party websites and apps that may be tailored to your individual interests. The information our ad networks may obtain on our behalf includes data about your visits to websites and use of apps that serve our advertisements, such as the pages or ads you view and the actions you take on those websites or apps. This data collection takes place both on our sites, apps and emails and on third-party websites and apps that participate in these ad networks. This process also helps us track the effectiveness of our marketing efforts. To learn how to opt out of this ad network interest-based advertising, visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices and http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices.
We will obtain your consent before using your information for interest-based advertising.
Information We Share:
We may share the Personal Data we collect with
- Our subsidiaries and affiliates, any of whom may use your Personal Data consistent with this Privacy Notice or for the subsidiaries or affiliate’s own purposes, including marketing purposes if you have consented to such use. A current list of our affiliated companies is available at http://newscorp.com/about/our-businesses/.
- Service providers in the US and other jurisdictions who perform services on our behalf.
We require our service providers to protect the confidentiality and security of Personal Data, and to ensure that Personal Data is processed only for the provision of services on our behalf and in compliance with applicable law. Service providers are not authorized to use or disclose Personal Data, except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or to comply with legal requirements.
We may further disclose information about you (1) if we are required to do so by law or legal process, (2) to law enforcement authorities or other government officials, and (3) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss, or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual fraudulent or illegal activity. We also reserve the right to transfer Personal Data we have about you in the event of a proposed or completed sale or transfer of all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a reorganization, dissolution or liquidation).
Your Rights and Choices:
We offer you certain choices in connection with the Personal Data we obtain about you, such as how we communicate with you.
To update your preferences, ask us to remove your information from our marketing mailing lists or submit a request, please contact us as outlined in the How To Contact Us Section below.
You also can unsubscribe from our marketing mailing lists by following the “Unsubscribe” link in our emails, and you can unsubscribe from Text Messages as outlined above.
To learn more about how to opt out of ad network interest-based advertising, please visit the customer opt-out pages at http://www.aboutads.info/choices/ and http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/.
Accessing, Reviewing, Updating and Modifying Personal Data
You may request to access, rectify or erase your Personal Data. You have the right to object to the processing of your Personal Data, restrict the processing of your Personal Data and exercise your right to data portability. Where you have given us your consent for our use of your Personal Data, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time and we will apply your preferences for the future. We will respond to your questions or complaints relating to the processing of your Personal Data. If you are not satisfied with our responses, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority.
How We Protect And Retain Personal Data:
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the Personal Data we have about you against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use. We make reasonable efforts to ensure a level of security appropriate to the risk of the processing, taking into account the costs of implementation and nature of the processing of Personal Data.
We retain Personal Data for the period needed to fulfill the purposes for which Personal Data was collected and as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law, such as in relation to our record retention obligations.
The Services may be hosted in and managed from a country outside the country in which you initially provided the information, including the United States. When your Personal Data is transferred to (or accessed from) a country outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”) for which the European Commission has not issued an adequacy decision, we will implement appropriate safeguards to ensure that your Personal Data remains protected. This may include data transfer agreements, a copy of which you can obtain by contacting us as indicated in the How To Contact Us Section below.
However, your Personal Data may be accessed by the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of the recipient country in accordance with applicable law. When we transfer your Personal Data, we will protect that information as described in this Privacy Notice.
Links to Third-Party Sites, Apps and Services:
For your convenience and information, our Services may provide links to third-party sites, apps and services that may be operated by companies not affiliated with 20Linesthese companies may have their own privacy notices or policies, which we strongly suggest you review. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of any non-20Lines sites, apps or services.
Updates to Our Privacy Notice:
This Privacy Notice may be updated periodically and without prior notice to you to reflect changes in our Personal Data practices. For significant changes, we will notify you by posting a prominent notice on our Services indicating at the top of the Notice when it was most recently updated.
How To Contact Us:
The entity responsible for the collection and processing of Personal Data in connection with the Services is the Company HarperCollins Italia S.p.A. Viale Monte Nero, 84 - 20135 Milano
If you have any questions or comments about this Privacy Notice or the manner in which we or our service providers treat your Personal Data, would like to exercise your rights and choices, or would like us to update information we have about you or your preferences, please contact us as follows:
By email: email@example.com
You also may write to:
20 Lines c/o HarperCollins Italia S.p.A. Viale Monte Nero, 84 - 20135 Milano